Monday, February 6, 2017

Writings of Joseph Johnson, 1773-1776

178 - Only converted when he was 21 (despite living at Wheelock's since he was a young boy...?)

184 -- "ungrateful Natives" "ademant savage hearts" "I wish that all the Indians were filled with love" "I wish I had a convenient opportunity to converse with the Indians of the several scattered Tribes."

Letter to Trumbull (TF #579) -- says that Indians aren't respected bc they rejected the path of God. Gives thanks that he was different because he was "born in a Christian land" -- again with the geography of sanctification (religious spaces vs. irreligious space).
Complains about English teachers getting paid more than Indian teachers -- did Occom make this same complaint? Or have I read this quote already in a secondary source somewhere?
Compares his salary w/ David Fowler, Jacob Fowler, and Charles Daniels

Letter to Wheelock (TF #580) -- nice passive aggressive remark:  If I was an Englishman, & was thus Respected by you, I should be very thankful, but much more doth it now, become me being an Indian, to be humble, & very thankful in every deed

No comments:

Post a Comment